To calculate result you have to disable your ad blocker first.
To use energy calculator, Enter the value of energy, Select the unit of the entered value, Choose the unit you want to convert the value into, and Click calculate.
Energy calculator is designed to convert the value of energy from one unit to another. This tool offers lots of different energy units for conversion.
What is energy?
Energy, a fundamental concept in physics, is the ability to perform work. It cannot be created or destroyed, but it can transition between various states - a concept known as the law of conservation of energy.
Energy exists in various forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, gravitational, sound, light, and elastic energy. Regardless of its form, energy is quantified using specific units. The universal unit of measurement within the International System of Units (SI) is the joule (J).
How to convert between different units of energy?
The general formula for converting one unit of energy to another is quite simple:
Energy (in unit B) = Energy (in unit A) * Conversion factor
The conversion factor is the number of units B in one unit A. These conversion factors are constants
To use the formula, follow these steps:
- Identify the current unit of energy (Unit A) and the unit you want to convert to (Unit B).
- Look up the conversion factor from unit A to unit B. This tells you how many of unit B are in one of unit A.
- Multiply the energy in unit A by the conversion factor to get the energy in unit B.
This formula works because of the property of proportionality. If two quantities are proportional (as two different measures of energy are), then the ratio between them is constant. That constant is the conversion factor.
- Converting Kilowatt-Hours to Joules: Kilowatt-hour (kWh) is a common unit of energy used in electricity metering. One kilowatt-hour is equivalent to 3.6 million joules. Therefore, to convert energy in kilowatt-hours to joules, multiply by 3,600,000.
For instance, to convert 2 kWh to J:
Energy (J) = Energy (kWh) * 3,600,000
Energy (J) = 2 kWh * 3,600,000 = 7,200,000 J
- Converting Calories to Joules: The calorie is a unit of energy widely used in nutrition. One calorie (cal) is approximately 4.184 joules. Therefore, to convert energy in calories to joules, multiply by 4.184.
For instance, to convert 1000 cal to J:
Energy (J) = Energy (cal) * 4.184
Energy (J) = 1000 cal * 4.184 = 4184 J
- Converting British Thermal Units to Joules: The British Thermal Unit (BTU) is used in the heat and air conditioning industries. One BTU is approximately 1055.06 joules. Therefore, to convert energy in BTUs to joules, multiply by 1055.06.
For instance, to convert 5 BTUs to J:
Energy (J) = Energy (BTU) * 1055.06
Energy (J) = 5 BTU * 1055.06 = 5275.3 J
Energy Conversion Table
Here's an assorted selection of energy conversion equivalents to provide a broader perspective:
Equivalent in Joules (J)
1,000 joule [J]
3,600,000 joule [J]
1,000,000,000 joule [J]
1,000,000 joule [J]
0.001 joule [J]
1.0E-6 joule [J]
1.0E-9 joule [J]
3,600,000,000,000 joules [J]
3,600,000,000 joules [J]
kilocalorie (IT) [kcal (IT)]
4,186.8 joule [J]
2,684,519.5368856 joule [J]
Btu (IT) [Btu (IT), Btu]
1,055.05585262 joule [J]
1 joule [J]
dyne centimeter [dyn*cm]
1.0E-7 joule [J]
kilopond meter [kp*m]
9.8066499997 joules [J]
4.3597482E-18 joule [J]
12,660,670.23144 joule [J]
4.184E+15 joule [J]
pound-force foot [lbf*ft]
1.3558179483 joules [J]
105,480,400 joule [J]